If you are a Project Manager or aspiring to be one, you know that you are one of the few Professionals who have been blessed to reach this level. There are many professionals in the industry who are equally talented, hardworking and passionate but they fail to reach this stage because they do not receive the right guidance and/or support at the right time. It is, therefore, up to us as Experienced Project Managers, to share our knowledge and skills with the budding generation of Project Managers. This will ensure that in the coming years, our industry/community has enough good Project Managers to deliver cutting edge projects.
The good news is that Newton’s third law of Physics, “Every action has an equal and opposite reaction” applies to Mentoring as well. In return for the guidance and support that you provide to others, you stand to advance your career as a Project Manager significantly. This is how:
- Being a mentor will position you as a leader in your industry, to whom others can look up to for support and guidance.
- By being involved in different projects, over and above your own project, you tend to learn more about the industry including but not limited to Best Practices, Lessons Learnt, etc.
- You expand your personal brand and network in the Community.
- You enhance your time management, team management, problem resolution skills, by trying to help others in solving their problems.
- Above all, you get to retain good team members because they see learning and growth by working with you.
The EPMA is working on building a community where Project Managers can support each other. If you would like to join this community as a mentor, please send your interest to: email@example.com